Levingston Dish Spoon Rest
This serving dish was adapted from a delightful and rare blue and white delftware dish for small sweets. The original was made in London about 1669, as inscribed.
The shapes of the pieces in the Levingston Collection channel the best of 18th-century British design and innovation. Painted and raised elements on delft, stoneware and redware antiques and excavated shards at Colonial Williamsburg provided the decorative motifs for this durable and beautiful stoneware. Decorative details include a rosette from a cup when Jamestown and Plymouth were fledgling New World colonies, a leaf motif from a commemorative plate, and a border from a delft plate excavated from Wetherburn's Tavern.